Sunday, March 25, 2012

Some Poker Survival Tips


 Perhaps one of the most difficult things a poker player has to endure is the inevitable downswing his/her bankroll will take. This will take its toll not only financially, but psychologically as well. How well you manage your bankroll and your emotions will define your success as a professional. Here are a couple of tips that have helped me immensely.

1. When you're not running well, don't play as much. It's impossible for a poker junkie not to play when they want to play, so the next best thing is to play less. Playing well below your maximum limit can help too.

2. Set your limits accordingly, and stick to them. 20 buy-ins for cash games, 30 for Sit and Gos, and 50 for Multi-table tournaments are the levels I have set for myself. That means I need $4000 MINIMUM to put $200 on a cash game, $6000 for a $200 Sit and Go, and $10,000 for a $200 tournament. If I don't have it, I don't play it.

3. Don't play hungry, tired, sick, broke, distracted, drunk, angry or desperate. If you do, you will almost always lose.

4. Learn how to play other poker games besides hold 'em, such as Omaha, stud, and 2-7 just to name a few. Also, learn the different variations (hi/lo, limit, pot-limit, etc.). Because knowledge is power!

5. If your bankroll is less than six figures, find a job if you don't already have one. I actually have three jobs at the moment. I don't have a bankroll big enough to live on, so I work. I don't like it, but it's what I have to do if I want to play AND pay my bills.

   These are just some of the things I try to do as I slowly work my way up to be a pro. Sometimes it's necessary to play above your limits when your bankroll is small, but I try not to make a habit of it. It helps if you have a residual income as well. I don't consider poker a form of gambling. I like to think of it as more of an investment. You're gambling when you play games against the "house", or when you can't afford to lose your buy-in. I tell people all the time: "I'm not a gambler, I'm a poker player."

No comments:

Post a Comment