Monday, January 16, 2012

My Life Since Black Friday

   On April 15th, 2011 (just 6 days after my 37th birthday) the Department of Justice successfully shut down the three biggest online poker sites in the world. One of those sites was Full Tilt Poker, a site that I played on exclusively for 4 years under the screen name Gooseman18. They had the best software in my opinion and had recently introduced a new concept called Rush Poker which basically allowed you to play up to 4X as many hands per hour than at a normal table. In 13 months I turned $38 into over $1300. Most of that was from the Mini FTOPS Main Event. I won an entry to the tournament through a $3 sattelite and cashed for $600. That was in March of 2011. Just one month later POOF! All over.

  Although it wasn't much, my entire poker bankroll was on that site. I missed playing the game more than the money, but I'll admit now the money would help a lot. It was clear to me that the only thing to do was to go back to work and start saving to play live. It hasn't been easy. I've been in the restaurant business for the majority of my working life, and although the cash can be good in season, off-season can be brutal. I live in a touristy area where it's busy in the summer, and a ghost town in the winter. Every time I felt like I was getting ahead, something unexpected would come up that would cost me. Currently, I'm working in a chocolate shop making a measly $9 an hour, and bartending on random weekends at a hotel whenever there is a function or a wedding. It's not very often though. My resume is done however, and I'm in the process of trying to find a "big-boy" job.

   Since July of last year I've managed to somehow put away $2000. It's not much as far as poker bankrolls go, but it's a start at least. Ideally, I'd like to have around 6K and I'll start playing $120 deep-stack tourneys at Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun. Until then, I'm trying to organize some home games with friends, and playing local charity tournaments just to try and keep my game sharp. There are some online sites that apparently are accepting US players like Bodog or Lock Poker. (I'm currently playing on Lock Poker trying to start a bankroll from zero. I'm up to $0.51!)

   I know there are many of you that were affected by the shutdown. For those of you who haven't been reimbursed by Full Tilt and Absolute Poker, don't give up! You did it once and you can do it again. I realize it's difficult to stay positive, but if you have a passion for the game, no obstacle is impossible to overcome. Take the things that are important in your life like friends and family and focus on them. If it weren't for the shutdown, I probably would not have met my girlfriend. We've been together for 8 months now and she's been extremely supportive and optimistic. I can't tell you all how valuable and important that's been. She's also the one who encouraged me to join Twitter and start this blog.

   The landscape is rapidly changing in the world of online poker. Nevada and New Jersey have been making great strides towards legalizing and regulating the industry. The DOJ even admitted recently that online poker doesn't violate the Wire Act. This should spark a go-ahead for federal legislation that would help to legalize online poker in the US.

   To summarize: don't give up if poker is your dream, focus on the things and people in your life that are truly important, and stay optimistic that soon the laws will change and hopefully the DOJ will come through and reimburse the millions of dollars to the thousands of victims affected by April 15th's events. If you are fortunate enough to have a bankroll, manage it properly. Work hard and stay sharp my friends! To quote the great ambassador of the game Mike Sexton: "May all your cards be live, and your pots be monsters!"

If you liked this post check out Phil Galfond's blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment