Monday, November 14, 2011

The Rum Diary: A Brief Review

   Over the weekend my girlfriend and I went to see The Rum Diary. I had high hopes for this movie given that one of my favorite actors, Johnny Depp, was starring in another Hunter S. Thompson related project. I am sad to say, however, this movie missed badly. I give it a C+ rating. It had its moments (very few) but was slow moving and not very entertaining. I felt it could have been edited down a little, and Johnny Depp's character was not very likeable and lacked depth.
   One bright spot in the movie was Amber Heard. She was captivating on-screen and her wardrobe was well chosen. Giovanni Ribisi deserves some credit as well for his portrayal of Moburg. Some of the locations they filmed in were beautiful too.
   If you really need to see a movie this week I would stay away from this one and wait till it comes out on DVD. I have yet to see The Ides of March which I heard was very good. Might have missed my chance on that one though. J. Edgar looks like it might be okay, and I still haven't seen In Time which I may skip. Margin Call I'm not so sure about either, but the next movie I see will be reviewed here so stay tuned! Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment